More musings of an American in England… this time fun differences in linguistics.
- Okey Cokey = Hokey Pokey …you do the (H)okey (C/P)okey and you shake it all about…
- Ladybird = Ladybug (come now, is it a bird or a bug?)
- Pavement = Sidewalk (thus the paved streets are called “tarmac”)
- Bangers and Mash = Sausages & Mashed Potatoes
- Take the Mick = Make fun of (I sure hope this phrase didn’t develop from making fun of my main man Micky Mouse!)
- Maths = Math
- Noughts & Crosses = Tic-tac-toe
And dear foreigners BEWARE of showing your British friends your nice new —– pack as the word is not so polite in the UK.